Wednesday, December 4

Tri Shutter Card for the 12 Challenges of Crafting - Challenge #9

Happy Hump Day Blends!

I am so excited that I have been able to continue on in the 12 Challenges of Crafting with Scrapbook Friends and More Crafts (a SUPER FUN group of Crafters on Facebook).  

It all started with Challenge #1 back on November 1st.  We are given a craft challenge and a very short amount of time in which to complete all the requirements of each challenge.  I have tried techniques and styles of crafting that were on my "Bucket List" and am so encouraged and inspired by all the participants.


The latest Challenge (#9 - Card Marking) ends tonight around 6pm EST.  We are challenged to create 3 separate cards.  We must create a Birthday Card, a Thinking of You Card, and a Holiday Card (any Holiday of choice).  The twists, because there is always an added twist or two, is that we have to be sure the sentiment is stamped or printed on the inside of each card and use 3 separate techniques when we create them.  The admins of the group offered a fabulous list of techniques and links to tutorials out in Crafty Cyberspace.  


I chose to try a Tri-Fold Shutter Card (first time ever....so fun) for my first project.  I opted to finish my Thinking of You card in this style.  Here is the link to the tutorial I followed: Tri Fold Shutter Card Tutorial...please note that when I followed all of the steps in this tutorial, there was a correction needed.  In Step 6, you are instructed to cut 4 small pieces of patterned paper.  The sizes listed were not accurate.  The sizes should have been listed as 1-3/8" x 1-7/8" for those 4 pieces.



I started with a Black Textured Card Stock as my base and followed all of the scoring and slicing steps.  For my patterned paper, I used a Damask Print from my Colorbok 12x12 Neutrals Stack, some K&Company embossed pattern paper in a yellow hue, and plain white card stock.  


To add a little "frill" to the white card stock pieces, I embossed them with my Cuttlebug Swiss Dots folder.  I adhered all of my patterned paper as instructed, with the exception of the middle rectangle.  This was where I was placing my sentiment.

For the sentiment piece, I first stamped the beautiful flowers in Sunshine Yellow Adirondack ink. The flowers are from the Unity Stamp Company stamp set: Insightful Meadows by Donna Downey.  I love Donna's style and art and was so thrilled to play with this set since it had been neglected for a while.  


I couldn't just stop there, I had to stamp the entire flower bouquet onto vellum for the long panel on the inside right side of my card.  I used the same Sunshine Yellow and matted the piece onto white card stock.  


For the inside sentiment verse, I used the Sympathy stamp from the Unity Stamp Company set:  ...everything wonderful created by Unity Artista, Lisa Arana.  Her latest collection of sentiment bundles at Unity have quickly become a FAVORITE for me.  


I still needed to be sure the card was meeting all of the requirements for the challenge so I scoured through my entire Unity Collection of stamps.  I found the "thinking of you" sentiment in one of my large Kits. It is from the Unity Exclusive Stampin' Store Kit - 2009 December collection {Sweet Affections}.  I stamped this using Tim Holtz Distress Ink - Black Soot then matted the small rectangle onto the same black card stock I used for my base.


To embellish my card I used the following products:
some pretty white flowers by Petaloo
yellow flat back pearls from Miriam's Crafting Supplies
3 Girl JAM Crinkle Ribbon (Sunflower Yellow & Tuxedo Black)
and
The rosette was made using a scrap of the pattern paper from the Colorbok stack and a large rhinestone from Miriam's.    

I hope you feel inspired to try to step out of your comfort zone and create a project using a new technique.  I am pleasantly surprised by all of the wonderful techniques and styles that are becoming a "must try again" since playing in these challenges.  

I will try to post some more tutorials and project shares from the previous 8 challenges as well.

Thanks for Stopping by and Stop Back to see all the other projects soon!

Remember 
to 
Keep Crafting, 
Because 
♫ CRAFTING ♫ 
♫ ROCKS ♫ 
\m/-_-\m/ 
:O) Jessica

1 comment:

  1. What a knock out, Jessica!!! I've got to try this design…looks so complicated and so very elegant! Fabulous, darling…fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

I so enjoy reading your comments and love hopping back over to your blog to see your latest and greatest!
:O) Jessica B.
Keep Crafting
Cuz Crafting Rocks
\m/-_-\m/

FYI - If you think your comment didn't take, I have comment moderation turned on, so chances are, it is still there :)

Social Butterfly?

Charity Wings

100% Certified

100% Certified
BAD A$$ Facebook Fan Page

Bill of Rights

Photobucket

Thanks Deb

Recent Visitors